Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dehydrating Apples

I started dehydrating a few years back & the more I did it, the more I enjoyed it.  One of my favorite things to dehydrate are apples.  For great videos of dehydrating go here  She does a great job of explaining it all.

For those of us in Hot HUMID Houston, if you are new to dehydrating & wondering why it takes so much longer than the book says - Humidity - I can dry things in half the time during our winter months when it's "only" 45% humidity versus our summer months - so just hang in there, let the dryer go longer & test along the way.  The good news is you CAN'T overdry things.  Remember when you are testing, or tasting, for doneness, let the item cool down about 5-10 minutes & then check.

We have gotten to where we actually prefer the apples dried over raw, who'd have ever thought that!  But, what to do with all the apple peels we get? I dehydrate them along with the apples.  Then, put them in a DRY blender & blend them until they are the consistency of sand or maybe brown sugar. I can't ever get them real fine.  Then, place them in the freezer for 48 hours.  The reason you do this is to kill any possible eggs that the skins might harbor.  Freezing kills off all those yucky puppies.  Then I store them in mason jars (removed the air with my vacuum sealer) & use whenever I think of it.

I have started putting them in: pancakes, muffins, tortillas & even bread.  They have no taste yet are full of fiber.  The only word of caution I have is a little goes a long way.  In most things I use 1/4-1/3 cup.  If you think of any other uses let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment