Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Purple Beans!

Despite the fungus & most of their leaves dropping off, some of my bean plants have managed to actually bear beans!  Cool!

See my purple bean on the right!
Not big enough to pick yet but there were about 1 per stem right now.  They are actually called Burgundy Bush beans.


Julia's cherry tomatoes
Also my tomatoes are starting to go red even in Julia, but the plant isn't growing very high.  Is this because of type, or as DH suspects, because it developed fruit too early & thus the amount of nutrients the plant could use for growing has been instead used for the fruit?  His theory sounds good so we're gonna make sure others don't develop fruit quite so quickly.

Spaghetti squash - here's a good example of where location, location, location comes in.

Rachel - spaghetti squash
I planted spaghetti squash seed in Rachel on 2/23.  Today is the first day it's bloomed & as you can see it's not very tall - in fact there is netting to the right of the plant but it clearly doesn't need it.  Should I pick off the blooms???

Now look at the spaghetti squash in Meg!  This was planted a full 2 weeks later!

Meg's spaghetti squash

OK, so I misread the package when I planted these & planted a bunch (16) instead of 2!  Learning!  Anywho, only about 6 actually came up (whew) & I have room behind if they want to trail on ground.  Right now there are 4 of them clearly trailing up the netting.  No blooms tho.  I suspect that the growth is better than the blooming right now, but don't know exactly what to do.  I'll have to see if I can read anything on that later. 

I'll pick the last of my lettuce tonight for salad & hope to get my lettuce seedlings out in the garden tomorrow.  They are doing ok but not great as seedlings.  I still have lots to learn there. But at least these have 4 leaves (2 true), which is 4 more than the ones I sowed in the ground in Feb. They never even popped up!  I need to add the water misters to the bed & put up a shade cover but that'll be this weekend with DH's help.  We're really too hot for lettuce in summer, but I am trying to grow some "hot weather varieties" from Israel & Hawaii. We'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment